SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

EPISODE 36

I missed episode 35 but from the first scene, Donald visiting his very sick father at the hospital, I deduce and I was actually told that Donald's father at last accepted his son's ambition as he himself was failing in his own business but then suffered a heart attack. He woke up paralysed and Donald was worried sick. Then he made a life changing decision; he knew his father's company was in heavy debt and his father couldn't just let the company die such a horrible death. Now something very illogical happened after this scene.

Donald told Chris he must help him to ditch Zita and Zita overheard that Donald pursued her as a dare with Chris to see who can get to kiss her first and Zita, heart broken ran away. Roy and Isaac stopped being Donald's friends who was very cold to them and naturally Isaac ran to Zita to offer her his shoulders to cry on.

I have to say this was such a lame plot. This is the only excuse TVB can find to get Zita into Isaac's arms and to create some tension in the group? I mean was Donald's father involved in some hostile takeover of Solar Airlines where 99% of the employees will be axed and Donald will have to carry out that work? Nope. Was Donald being involved in his father's company will make Zita lose out certain things? Nope. So I didn't get it at all why Donald had to do what he did. And shouldn't Zita just ask "Bastard! How can you treat me like this?" when overhearing what Donald said to Chris instead of just running away without ever confronting Donald? How can Isaac and Roy believe what Donald said when Chris was still by his side and the day after Donald actually quit as pilot? Can't intelligent beings like them deduce that perhaps Donald was facing some personal crisis? Can't Donald just tell Zita what he told Chris that "Chris, I have to go back to my father's company, he is sick, he is alone, I need to help him, I have to quit my dreams" and as Zita, wouldn't you feel more in love with such a noble being who gave up his dreams for his father's dreams? But noooooo..I don't understand. "Dim gai?" "Why?" Tell me why?

Anyway ridiculous as this plot may sound, it give credibility to what I am going to say next with regards to Belle.

Finally Belle heard that bloody tape. My neck was so long waiting to hear what Vincent had to say and he said something quite right...

"Belle! I finally understood! Belle! Belle, listen to me, you lost that bracelet 3 times, I found it once..don't you get it? Your fate with Sam was not meant to be because it is something you can't hold on to but with me, once and you married me...Belle, I want to start all over again with you, please give me a chance, remember this date Belle, remember today's date..."

Belle was of course crying like a total maniac and Flora Chan, every time she cries she mumbles and so the entire sentimental scene was killed by her tearless cries and her mumbling. What did she say? I don't know. Anyway thereafter Belle suddenly saw Vincent, and Vincent said he will have to leave and Belle must go on with life but Belle hugged him and said no no no, he will stay with her, he is back with her.

At this point, we all know it was all hullicination or Belle is going bonkers in a less sophisticated language. But after that whole Donald-Zita incident, I really actually do believe Vincent's ghost came back to haunt Belle. Oh yes, this is like Seven Sisters now. Why not? If Donald can leave Zita for no apparent reason and Zita can let Donald dump her for no apparent reason, would seeing Vincent's ghost that far fetched? I don't think so.

Ok ok, Belle was delusional. Anyway for the next few days, she refused to see her friends, always busy busy busy. Then Sam and Zoe gave her a surprise visit and found her having a candlelight dinner with no one, she dressed fabulously, magazines about cars opened on the dinner table and Belle quickly tell them to leave. Zoe was very worried and Sam when talking to Belle noticed she wasn't paying attention. Scary stuff.

Meanwhile, Zoe's heart is saying I QUIT!! Doctor advised her to check into the hospital but she refused. Sam was very worried but Zoe dismissed his worries and insisted on being friends with him. Sam was of course heartbroken but said very little.

At this moment I must stress for someone's whose heart was giving up on her, Zoe seems very energetic, full of life and more importantly healthy. Shouldn't she be a bit pale, have some breathing difficulties? I mean she can still walk all over like no problem. Very unrealistic.

But we all know Zoe still love Sam because she saw him giving tours to little kids who wanted Zoe to give them chocolate and cheapskate big brother Sam gave them a story that Zoe once told him. Hmmm "brother pilot, can I have my chocolate now??"

Anyway Zoe clearly was still in love with Sam but as she said earlier, she wanted them to be just friends so that if she ever ever have to leave this Earth, he would not be that sad which to be is a bunch of B.S. But her actions were thoughtful; it is often hardest to say goodbye to the one you love, more so when you see them dying slowly. But Sam didn't know how serious Zoe's condition was.

Last scene, Sa found Belle sitting alone at the airport lounge, nobody around but she was clearly besotted and touching an unseen figure opposite her. Sam sat opposite her and called "Belle?", looking very worried.

The end.

One mention, Taylor asked Tina to marry him but Tina wanted to be just friends. Then Zita came back very upset due to Donald's supposed betrayal and Taylor comforted her like a father would and Tina then said to Taylor let's give their relationship a try. And so began a very boring relationship. I wonder what happened to Tina's previous boyfriends??

This episode I don't get it at all. Why Donald must leave Zita? It is illogical, to the point of him hurting even his friends. Donald was all alone with his problems and there were indications Isaac may take this opportunity to woo Zita, something he wanted to many many episodes before.

As for Belle, pure drama. Such a long time for her to become delusional and for me to hear the tape recording, when I do hear it it was of not much impact because the wait was far too long, the impact all gone.

Performance wise, you will get to see Joe Ma, I suspect returning because of viewers' popular request. But I was joking about him being a ghost in here. Everybody did well, however illogical the plot may be. I must mention this; Flora had a bit too much blush on her cheeks, Myolie too much powder on her face, Michelle too much gloss on her lips and this drama getting increasingly draggy and slow. Just 4 more episodes and it felt like a lifetime.

3 comments:

Kidd February 22, 2005 at 6:22 PM  

Totally agree with u about the 'Donald dump Zita' plot. That's was exactly what I thought when I first saw this illogically plot.

Zita is a very independant girl. She is not a timid dependant girl who need her boyfriend to care for her 24 hours a day. And she didn't even need Donald's money (so, the 'not able to provide for her' reason is moot) since she has a good career of her own. So, Donald has no reason to dump her.

I'm really angry when characters do stupid things like that. It just cause more problem. Zita is 1/2 of this relationship, and deserve to know the truth and the right to make decision regarding this relationship. By doing such stupid thing, Donald not only hurt Zita, but also Chris and Issac. Chris lost 3 good friends. Issac will have his hopes up and then dashed when he found out the truth.

Anonymous February 28, 2005 at 9:02 PM  

Just one comment on Vincent's message. He said that "...you lost your bracelet three times and twice Sam picked it up for you but you lost it time and time again, which means that the two of you are not fated to be with one another (star-crossed lovers), but I picked it up for you once and you have been able to keep it ever since... so the person you are fated to be with is me Belle..." However, as I recall, Belle never wore that bracelet ever again after Vincent gave it back to her. How can you lose a bracelet if you never wear it again. I wonder if Vincent noticed that. Poor script writing if you ask me...

Funn Lim March 1, 2005 at 2:47 AM  

To Anonymous (what's your name?!??!?!?) - I am quite puzzled by your comments. I didn't notice about the bracelet thing BUT I think Vincent meant the other time when Sam gave the bracelet to her, of course thereafter she didn't really lose it again. So I don't quite get your meaning...

NOTICE

SPOILERS alert!

All opinion remains my own

Episodic thought is a detailed recap/summary and short review of each episode (as I watch them) with a dash of my own unique way of writing (basically it means if you're not into opinion that may differ from yours, please do not continue reading.

Your comments are most welcomed. Do use Post A Comment for the appropriate episode. Do remember to bookmark the episode so you may refer back when someone replies to your comments (if any). When commenting, please observe the rules of decorum and common courtesy. If this is a new series, please avoid posting future spoilers in earlier episodes, however you may post speculations.

For your information

This series was released in 2003 but was broadcast over ASTRO Wah Lai Toi in 2005. This episodic thoughts was written during that broadcast over ASTRO on a daily basis from Monday to Friday, episode per episode and it is officially completed when the series ended its run. Episodic Thoughts consists of summary of plot and a review of the current episode, all written by me, Funn Lim. The comments are still open so feel free to post your comments. Please be informed that the posts in here are full of spoilers. Thank you.

> Cast list

Subject matter

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Top Commenters

Get this widget

Counter